Friday, January 31, 2014

Feature Friday with Penny from USAsweetpea

1. What is the name of your Etsy shop and why did you choose that name? 
My name is Penny Ellen Adams (my initials are PEA). My friends call me, "Sweetpea" and I love in the USA, therefore, it made sense to name my shop USAsweetpea.

2. How long have you been on Etsy? 
I opened my shop in 2007, but did not start stocking it until a few years ago.
3. What type of items do you offer? 
I offer Keepsakes created from polymer clay. All my Keepsakes are my own original designs. My motto is, "Quality handcrafted gifts from expectant mothers to bereavement and all of life in-between."

4. How long have you been crafting? 
I am 67 years old and have doodled, drew and painted for as long as I can remember. I have been selling my art for over 25 years. I sold at juried art shows and to 17 shops in years gone by.
5. Who or What inspires you? 
I am inspired by people and lifes' circumstances. It's my hearts desire to bring a little happiness to as many lives as possible, even in sad situations. And from the feedback I have received through the years tells me I have done that.

6. What is your favorite item in your shop and why?
Wow, this is a very hard question for me to answer because I love what I do! My "Little Sweetpea" Angels and Baby Sweetpea's (A Pea in a Pod & Blanket Babies) are a tie! My "Little Sweetpea" Angels are a favorite because they were my first clay creation 22 years ago. They are still a favorite with repeat customers and new customers as well. My "Baby Sweetpea's" faces,ears and curls melt my heart. I have one hanging on my work table so I can see it everyday. It bring a smile to my face and melts my heart! So I really can't pick one over the other.
7. Other places where you can be found?
My Etsy shop:  https://www.etsy.com/shop/USAsweetpea
My web site address is: www.SweetpeaKeepsakes.com
My Pinterest address is: www.pinterest.com/usasweetpea

8. How do you describe your artistic style? 
I am not sure what I would call my style because I am diverse, so I guess I would say, "Whimsical."
9. Do you have set days or times to work on your craft?
Since I am retired, I do not have set days or times to work on my craft. Some nights I get an idea in the middle of the night, and I get up and create it and sleep in the next day. Sometimes I get an idea during the day and work on it.
There are some times when I have an idea in my head and it might take me a week or more to figure out how to create it, or how to make it look balanced.
In 1999 my niece taught me HTML so I could make a web site. So some days, I do not craft, but change and tweak pages or words and images. Recently I started pinning on Pinterest, too. I make my own business cards, greeting cards and advertising for my display in my Son's Antique Mall. So I really keep myself busy with so many aspects of my "craft."
But in November and December I work from morning until evening 6 days a week to fill orders.
10. What words of advice would you give others or to someone just starting out? 
Do what you love. Don't get discouraged and never, ever give up! 

11. Tell a bit of personal info about yourself. 
My background is in antiques and have an immense love for primitives.
I have one awesome son and daughter-in-law. I have three grandkids, 21, 18 and 16 years old.
I live in a senior citizen apartment complex with my cat, Suki. After moving out of my condo, I had to condense my work space from a 15' x 21' art studio to quite a small area in my living room. Much to my surprise it has really worked out wonderfully. I am blessed to have a great family, great life and a cozy work space!


No comments: