Friday, September 20, 2013

Feature Friday with Susan from The Laughing Cabin


1. What is the name of your Etsy shop and why did you choose that name?
The Laughing Cabin got its name because I live in an actual cabin in the woods in the foothills of the mountains along with my husband and our two dogs. God’s way of giving people strength is to pour joy out upon their lives. We’ve had our share of struggles in life which have caused us to rely upon God for strength and therefore have been infused with a contagious amount of joy and endowed with a silly sense of humor! Hence the name, The Laughing Cabin.
 I received an autographed copy of a painting pattern book from artist Mary Jo Tuttle several years ago, and her words to me sum up my creative philosophy. She wrote, “May you always paint the colors of joy.” I have taken these words to heart and feel as though they are reflected in the items that appear in The Laughing Cabin.

2. How long have you been on Etsy?
Since April 2011.
3. What type of items do you offer?
Most of the items in my Etsy shop are hand painted wood pieces. My specialty is hand painted wood signs because I love words and enjoy making signs with humorous sayings on them. I also enjoy painting on ceramic, resin, glass jars, metal and the occasional gourd. A new technique that I have been experimenting with is to combine clay with wood or gourds to create three dimensional signs and other items. These types of items usually sell as quickly as they are posted, so they are being well received by shoppers. Most items are designed by me, and I use a scroll saw to cut the actual wood. Other items are created using purchased wood cut-outs and with purchased patterns.
 4. How long have you been crafting?
I recognized a desire to craft around the age of 10 but did not have a means to explore that desire until my late 20s when I became a stay at home mother. So it’s fair to say that I’ve been crafting for about 30 years including sewing, machine quilt making and a brief foray into jewelry making.

5. Who or What inspires you?
My grandmother Mae would take us to Warden’s World of Crafts when we would visit with her during the summers. She would give us a shopping cart and allow us to fill it up with all kinds of craft items. We never really knew what to do with all the stuff that we bought, but visiting that huge craft store was the highlight of my childhood memories of her and got me started with a love for crafting.

6. What is your favorite item in your shop and why?
There is a hand painted picture titled “Barnyard Antics.” The cow featured in this picture has become my avatar logo. I love this piece because of how the idea came about to cut the individual animals out of wood – it was designed as a painted canvas, but I decided to use wood to give it a three dimensional quality. It’s my favorite piece. The pattern was created by Betty Bowers.
 7. Other places where you can be found (Ebay, webstore, blog)

8. How do you describe your artistic style?
I would say it is a cross between tole painting, folk art and anything goes. I have no formal training in painting or any other art form, so I just go with it and see what happens.
 9. Do you have set days or times to work on your craft?
I am fortunate to work from home in our family’s company and can easily step out into the workshop throughout the day. I usually spend 2 hours each afternoon out in the workshop but enjoy being out there all day Saturdays when I can get uninterrupted time.

10. What words of advice would you give others or to someone just starting out?
I would give the same advice my husband gave to me: “Honey, why don’t you just keep making stuff and see where it will take you?” It’s absolutely true. I started with one piece of art, and years later, I have had some amazing adventures and met many interesting people that could only have happened by following this passion to paint.
 11. Tell a bit of personal info about yourself.
I am a 50-something wife-mother-grandmother living in the foothills of the north Georgia mountains along with my husband and two dogs. My other passions include Jesus; writing about my faith, life and experiences; playing with my grandchildren; blogging; supporting other people in their own passions; and enjoying every minute of life with this awesome man that picked me for his wife.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wonderful feature. I love the meaning behind the name "The Laughing Cabin".
Kim