Friday, July 12, 2013

Feature Friday with Carol of Holiday Spirits Décor

 
1.      What is the name of your Etsy shop and why did you choose that name?
I named my shop Holiday Spirits Décor because I’ve always enjoyed decorating and getting into the spirit of each holiday.
2.      How long have you been on Etsy?
I’ve been on Etsy since the fall of 2010—almost 3 years and I’ve loved every minute!
3.      How long have you been on Etsy?
I make fabric trick or treat bags and Easter baskets, Christmas pillows and wreaths, bottle brush trees, and putz houses.
4.      How long have you been crafting?
I can’t remember when I didn’t craft and sew.  I always made holiday items as gifts for my family and friends.  With a little push from my family I decided to try selling them on Etsy.
5.      Who or What inspires you?
I’m inspired by vintage decorations, and creating special holiday decorations you take out year after year to enjoy, like old friends.
6.      What is your favorite item in your shop and why?
I love the putz houses in my shop.  I remember my grandfather fixing them up each Christmas to put under their tree…all those lovely old decorations disappeared and I decided to try making them to continue the tradition with my family.
7.      Other places where you can be found
Currently I’m concentrating on my Etsy shop, but who knows what the future holds…may be a blog in my future!
8.      How do you describe your artistic style?
I’d describe my style as fun and whimsical.  I enjoy bringing out the inner child hiding in all of us around the holidays.
9.      Do you have set days or times to work on your craft?
I work on my shop every day.  Between creating items to keep my shop stocked, and working ahead for the crazy Halloween through Easter season, promoting, SEO, and photographing and listing items, I’m constantly busy!  People buy holiday decorations all year…I’m always working a holiday ahead of schedule!   I use the slower summer months to focus on creating new items and work on custom requests.
10.   What words of advice would you give others or to someone just starting out?
My best words of advice would be to create unique items that come from your heart.  Learn to photograph your items in an interesting way so they will be featured in treasuries.   Read everything you can about tags and SEO, and don’t worry about being an instant success.  Use the slow times to improve your shop and join a couple of wonderful teams so you have a place to ask questions and seek advice.
11 Tell a bit of personal info about yourself.
I live just north of the city in Chicago with my photographer husband and our Westie.  Our 2 grown daughters live close by, and we became first time grandparents last fall!

1 comment:

Ronda said...

Wonderful feature!..