Friday, May 17, 2013

Feature Friday with Patchwork Friends

1. What is the name of your Etsy shop and why did you choose that name?
The name of my Etsy shop is Patchwork Friends. The name comes from my love for quilts, old and new. Quilts tell a story, just like my creations do. My friends have always been so supportive and I am always meeting the most wonderful people while selling my creations. They become loyal customers and friends too.
 2. How long have you been on Etsy?
I have been on Etsy since 2010. I took a break for 2 years while I was working 7 days a week, but kept my shop open. Now I am able to work on my shop full time since February of this year.

3. What type of items do you offer?
My shop offers a variety of different things such as soft sculpture dolls, pillows, ornaments,wood items and some floral. The dolls are my passion and I am planning on having a line of Raggedy Ann's and other dolls in my shop soon, including a bear line.
 4. How long have you been crafting?
I have been crafting since I was 12 and at 19 took my first quilting class, ceramics and tole painting classes. I was hooked! I started doing craft shows and home parties from then on. It has been over 40 years now and I still have the same passion and love for crafting, if not more.
 

5. Who or What inspires you?
My inspirations come from fabrics, wools, old quilts, antique shops and all the women and men that are so creative. There is nothing more inspirational than creative people that share their wisdom and experience with us.

6. What is your favorite item in your shop and why?
It is hard to pick a favorite item in my shop because I love it all for different reasons. I do love my Fall and Christmas items because they bring a lot of joy to me at that time of year.
 

7. Other places where you can be found?
Patchwork Friends can be found on Facebook and I am working on a blog. I am also pulling my website together and it should be up and running soon.

8. How do you describe your artistic style?
I would say Country/Primitive is my style. I also love the Americana look.
 

9. Do you have set days or times to work on your craft?
I try to make out a weekly work schedule and stick to it. I like to get all my housework and errands done in the morning and work in the afternoon and evenings. My children are grown and I live with 2 cats and a dog, so my schedule is so different than when I was raising children and working full time.
 

10. What words of advice would you give others or to someone just starting out?
If you love what you do, you will be successful. I have read a lot of books on starting a craft business and have watched and learned from people in the business. Make sure you devote a set amount of time to create and believe in yourself. Do not listen to negative people because you are the only one in charge of your destiny. Learn from your mistakes and what works and what does not work. Follow your heart!
 

11. Tell a bit of personal info about yourself.
I am so blessed at this point in my life. I have 2 wonderful children and a great circle of friends. I still hyperventilate when I enter a fabric store and I love to go to flea markets and estate sales. I have always wanted to create and sell my designs and that is what I am able to do now. I am doing some of the best craft shows and selling on Etsy.  I have learned from my mistakes, and still learning. I have weeded out the craft shows that were not profitable for me and worked hard to get into the ones that are. Perseverance does pay off!

No comments: