Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Tuesday Tutorial

Patti at Ahl Cooped Up has graciously allowed up to share her wonderful tutorial on creating Faux Primitive Rusty Tins. I'll let her speak for herself:

I came up with an easy, quick, less messy way to make my tin cans look rusty. This method is much easier than using mod podge and cinnamon. They are done in no time at all.

There are so many uses for these in primitive crafting. Mine are going to have a grungy label on the front, and a prim Christmas tree placed inside with moss. 

Here goes:

You will need a can of satin cinnamon color spray paint, and a can of rustoleum texture paint. I purchase these at Walmart and Michaels arts and crafts store.



I have to laugh! The can says "stops rust", and I'm wanting the rust! Next step.  Spray the cans with the cinnamon color and let dry.  I like to do this outside for obvious reasons.

 

After the cinnamon color paint dried, I sprayed the texture paint on.  You don't have to be fussy, you want the cinnamon color to show through a bit.  The two colors will look like rust when dry.

 

Voila! you are done!!!  I was able to paint 20 cans and a large canister lid with one can of the texture paint. 
There's plenty of paint left in the other can.I' m adding labels to mine.  I always pick the side that looks the worse, maybe some lumps and bumps etc., and glue the label on that spot. I hope you enjoyed my tutorial. 

Thanks so much Patti for sharing your amazing tutorial with us. Please make sure you stop by and visit Patti. While you're there, you might want to follow her blog. She has some great things to share!!!

8 comments:

Ladybug said...

Great Tip for creating rusty looking Cans, Love Patti's Blog
Thanks for Sharing...

Blessings

primcountrycreations said...

Thanks so much! I enjoy learning new things:) quick and easy... that's the best part!!

Jody said...

I want to give this a try..love it!

Maria said...

Awesome! That sounds easy enough for me to do.
Thanks you.

Firecracker Kid said...

Cool beans! I learned this from Patti:) She's a doll!

Jan said...

Way to go. I love it and it looks so easy and looks so rusty Prim too. thank you so much for sharing that with us.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love your blog and just put it on my list of favorites! Thanks! ♥

Elisha said...

Im a new follower and just found this tutorial... THANKYOU for sharing! MY dad is making me a Prim TV stand and bought ugly "modern" hinges for it and this is what Im gonna paint the hinges to make them look old! THANKYOU!!!! (ill prob need a primer first huh?)